Whether you are looking for a tool to cut metal or do repair and maintenance work, you must check out the different alternatives in the market and buy the one that works best for you. When it comes to precision and heavy-duty metal cutting, a plasma cutting machine is right at the top of the charts. Plasma cutters have been around for a while now, but only recently have we seen a number smaller and relatively affordable models make headway in the market.
You can use a plasma cutting tool on any conductive metal; contrary to rumors, its works equally well with ferrous as well as non-ferrous metals. Simply speaking, it produces heated energy and gas that make the metal melt quickly. Compared to other forms of metal cutting, like oxy-fuel cutting, laser cutting and water jet cutting, most people find plasma cutting tools easier to handle. It is also said to offer more accurate cutting at higher speeds. It is also great for cutting medium or thick steel or aluminum plates. If you are planning to buy a CNC metal cutting machine, you must know about the following features of modern plasma cutters.
- Almost Zero Learning Curve :- Compared to traditional metal cutting equipment, plasma machines and software are rather simple and easy to use. You do not need any special skills to operate this equipment. When you get a quality machine and get a high-end software to go with it, you role in the metal cutting process is minor. While a CNC plasma machine, in itself, may be complex, by pairing a powerful and intuitive software with it, the efficiency of your metal cutting processes will reach its peak. Even non-skilled individuals can learn the basics of operating such machines within a few hours or days.
- Purchasing Price Advantage :- Compared to other equipment in the CNC metal-cutting industry, plasma metal cutting machines cost less. For example, a basic plasma cutting machine will cost less than a laser metal cutting equipment – and it will offer a wider range of cutting features. Most metal cutting operations are on metals that are 20-50mm. Plasma cutting works perfectly for metal thicknesses within this range and offers comparable or better results than laser and oxy-fuel.
- Speed and Durability :- Did you know that plasma cutters do not require any preheating? This means that you can start cutting almost immediately. And if the machine is tightly integrated with the nesting software, the speed and accuracy of cutting approaches perfection. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t use a plasma cutter in exacting conditions. Most plasma cutters are as durable as any other metal cutting tool as they are built to survive regular, heavy use for years.
- High Cutting and Powerful Piercing :- Plasma CNC metal cutting machines are heads and shoulders above competition when it comes to cutting fast. For metals with thickness of up to 50mm, most plasma CNC cutters are almost twice as fast the oxy-fuel cutting tools. It is as fast as or faster than laser cutting tools when the thickness of over 3mm. Plasma is effective for metals as thick as 80mm. It also pierces a lot faster than most other tools. Another related advantage of using plasma is that you can expect impeccable quality and precision of cuts.
- Portability and Handling :- The earliest of plasma cutting tools were rather bulky and difficult to handle. Today, you can get plasma cutting machines in a wide range of sizes and shapes. There are dozens of hand-held cutters that you can choose from, and you can buy them at reasonable rates. It is not difficult to find a cutter that suits your handling technique, owing to the different types that are available. Buying CNC plasma cutting equipment will make your job even easier.
When it comes to speedy and quality metal cutting, plasma metal cutters are somewhere near the top of the list. Sure, your choice of the type of cutting equipment will be determined by your specific requirements, but plasma equipment is ideal for a wide range of metal thicknesses, it is not prohibitively expensive, and when you combine it with a powerful software, it can revolutionize your work process.